[DWJ] Another tee shirt idea

Philip Belben philip at axeside.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 12:36:09 EDT 2010

Talking of chinoiserie reminds me of another tee shirt idea:  the sign
Shen.  Could this be a Chinese character?

A chinese colleague of mine has a dictionary that lists characters in
order of their pinyin spelling; this gives fifteen for "shen".  None of
the definitions specifically mentions power over demons (although one
does mean "supernatural"); but it's only a small dictionary.  I'd like
to look this up on a decent database of chinese characters, but the
Unihan database seems to be down for the forseeable future :-(

Philip.