[DWJ] Hello

Thomas Thurman thomas at thurman.org.uk
Tue Jul 6 20:12:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 04:39:24PM -0700, Jackie E Stallcup wrote:
>  I couldn't have been more than 7, and I particularly recall it because I
> corrected the teacher:  I capitalized Roc the way that Eager does and the
> teacher "corrected" it.  So I (probably very priggishly) took the book in
> and _showed_ her that I was _right_.

You remind me of the time when I was about nine that we were reading _Five
Children and It_, already a favourite of mine, around the class.

"'Psammead' is a funny name," said the teacher, "I don't know why the
author chose it."

I put my hand up.  "It's Greek," I said.

"How do you know?"

"You see where it says, 'A Sammyadd? That's Greek to me.'?"

"No," she said, "when someone says 'it's Greek to me', it means..."

"I know that," I said with as much patience as I could muster, "but it's
supposed to be a joke."

"It doesn't seem much like a joke to me," bristled the teacher.

In retrospect, it seems that I may have been an annoying child.

Thomas