[DWJ] Hello

Thomas Thurman thomas at thurman.org.uk
Tue Jul 6 19:01:35 EDT 2010

Hello.  I've just joined the list, and I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Thomas, and I've been reading DWJ's works since I was small.
I think I started with _The Ogre Downstairs_.  My favourite book overall
is currently _Power of Three_, and my favourite scene is when
Christopher makes the roof come off in _TLOCC_, but that might change by
tomorrow.  I'm currently in the middle of reading _House of Many Ways_,
and enjoying it very much.  And now that I'm lucky enough to have a
daughter of my own I've been able to read DWJ's works to her as well.

I'm not sure what to say to introduce myself other than that.  I live in
Philadelphia, a transplant from the original Cambridge.  I work as a
programmer, but I was asked the other day how I wanted to be remembered
when I die, and I decided I'd like people to remember my poetry and
fantasy novels more than my programming.  (I did have a rule that I
never published anything, but after having one story privately printed
for a friend's birthday, I was told off by several of its readers for
this rule, and so I promised that I will at least try to find a
publisher for the novel I'm currently working on.)

I mention this in order to add that my imagination is built upon
foundations supplied during my childhood in large part by E. Nesbit,
Edward Eager, and DWJ.  I was hoping that if I ever did get work
published, I should write to Ms Jones and thank her for being a
necessary part of the whole, but the recent news about her failing
health has made me wonder whether that will ever be possible.

Thomas