[DWJ] HOMEWARD BOUNDERS translation question

Charlie Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 10:58:05 EDT 2010

On 6 July 2010 15:43, Kyra Jucovy <arykiy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Irina Rempt <irina at valdyas.org> wrot
> I have this vague memory, from when we traveled to Montreal when I was ten,
> of finding French Canadian translations of the *Babysitters Club *books
> which also translated the locales so that the books were now taking place
> in
> Quebec instead of in Connecticut - like, Stacey didn't come from New York
> City anymore, she came from Montreal.  I really kind of wish I knew whether
> this was just a dream or a delusion or if the memory is actually real.
> Anyway, if it is a real memory, at the time I thought that was the coolest
> thing ever, that you didn't just translate the language but also the
> culture.

Talking of movable clubs, there are also the Sleepover Club books, set in
Leicester, England, but more recently televised in a sunny Australian
setting. Having said that, I think the very first episode of the series had
one of the UK girls visiting and passing on the Sleepover Club flame to her
Australian counterparts, which is a clumsy device but one I personally
appreciated.

As to whether this kind of transplantation is cool or not, I'm ambivalent,
and splurged my ambivalence at length in another place not long ago:
http://awfullybigblogadventure.blogspot.com/2009/10/divided-by-common-language-charlie.html
.

Charlie

--