[DWJ] HOMEWARD BOUNDERS translation question

Kyra Jucovy arykiy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 10:43:09 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Irina Rempt <irina at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 July 2010 11:41:56 Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, you will not believe how much flack I got for
> > switching in a Hannuka song instead of a Christmas carol in one of the
> > Harry Potter books... not that I haven't also received complaints for
> > not doing ENOUGH of this sort of cultural substitution.
>
> Hmm, I think the problem is that readers differ... as a kid, I liked
> reading
> books from different cultures to learn about those cultures, and I was
> affronted whenever a translator had substituted something more familiar.
> After all, it was the unfamiliar that I was reading for! On the other
> tentacle, this made me try to read books in the original language much
> earlier than I would otherwise have done.
>
>   Irina

I have this vague memory, from when we traveled to Montreal when I was ten,
of finding French Canadian translations of the *Babysitters Club *books
which also translated the locales so that the books were now taking place in
Quebec instead of in Connecticut - like, Stacey didn't come from New York
City anymore, she came from Montreal.  I really kind of wish I knew whether
this was just a dream or a delusion or if the memory is actually real.
Anyway, if it is a real memory, at the time I thought that was the coolest
thing ever, that you didn't just translate the language but also the
culture.

---Kyra