[DWJ] HOMEWARD BOUNDERS translation question

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Jul 6 05:44:19 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 11:41:56 Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> On the other hand, you will not believe how much flack I got for
> switching in a Hannuka song instead of a Christmas carol in one of the
> Harry Potter books... not that I haven't also received complaints for
> not doing ENOUGH of this sort of cultural substitution.

Hmm, I think the problem is that readers differ... as a kid, I liked reading
books from different cultures to learn about those cultures, and I was
affronted whenever a translator had substituted something more familiar.
After all, it was the unfamiliar that I was reading for! On the other
tentacle, this made me try to read books in the original language much
earlier than I would otherwise have done.

   Irina

--
Time flies like an arrow. What do time butterflies like?
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi       Latest: 05-Jul-2010