[DWJ] HOMEWARD BOUNDERS translation question

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Jul 6 05:41:56 EDT 2010

Deborah wrote:

> I noticed this in the Hebrew copy of Archer's Goon, where Fifi singing
hymns turned into... I can't remember. The kedusha? I thought it was an
interesting choice, because the parallel didn't seem obvious to me. But
sometimes there aren't exactly cultural parallels. The closest thing to
singing hymns probably is just some prayer that you pick up with a catchy
tune that you find yourself singing while you wash the dishes.

We did look for an equivalent, but in the end settled for what is actually
quite a literal translation of the hymn! It sounds familiar simply because
hymns and prayers use many of the same words - "kadosh, kadosh, kadosh"
literally means "holy, holy, holy", which is there in the original English.

On the other hand, you will not believe how much flack I got for switching
in a Hannuka song instead of a Christmas carol in one of the Harry Potter
books... not that I haven't also received complaints for not doing ENOUGH of
this sort of cultural substitution.