[DWJ] Ansible this week--t-shirts.

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jul 6 05:41:18 EDT 2010

Farah.sf wrote:
> Ansible is very well respected. Which is of course the problem.

The *real* problem is that Langford, like Diana, has a very
well-developed, some would say excessively over-developed, sense of
humour and hardly ever resists a mild leg-pull, which I suspect was what
this was meant to be.  When he is combined with Diana, as I have seen
happen in a bar once or twice, the result can be cheating at balloon
tennis (don't ask me how) or the introduction of the word "stoat" into
someone's vocabulary as something that will always make her
involuntarily chew the rug with laughter (and was at the expense of
someone else's slightly florid writing).

He is not likely to be fully aware either how well-respected and
therefore taken with deadly seriousness Ansible is, or that people who
read it may be po-faced and foolish and take as nastiness something that
was when he and Diana came up with it an entirely light-hearted matter,
not intended to harm anyone in any way.

If he realises he has hurt someone accidentally I am sure that no-one
would be more distressed than he
at having caused hurt, and the more so because it was an accident.

Shall I beat him over the head for it, Farah?  I can if you want, but it
is so pitiful when such a large man cowers in a corner and meeps about
his misdeeds...

Minnow