[DWJ] HOMEWARD BOUNDERS translation question

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jul 6 05:31:33 EDT 2010

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:

> It occurs to me that translating this one not so much into Hebrew, but into
> something that a Jewish (and Jewish educated) child would understand might
> be tough.

I noticed this in the Hebrew copy of Archer's Goon, where Fifi singing hymns turned into... I can't remember. The kedusha? I thought it was an interesting choice, because the parallel didn't seem obvious to me. But sometimes there aren't exactly cultural parallels. The closest thing to singing hymns probably is just some prayer that you pick up with a catchy tune that you find yourself singing while you wash the dishes.

Of course, I'm already a cultural outsider for so many of these English/angle can cultural references, anyway. I still remember how utterly confusing the end of Prince Caspian was. Why had Aslan suddenly turned into a lamb? What was up with that whole "you know me by another name in your world?"

-deborah