[DWJ] HOMEWARD BOUNDERS translation question

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Jul 6 05:00:29 EDT 2010

I thought it was the same Ahasuerus in Esther and Daniel. In Daniel he's
described as a Mede and King of the Chaldeans, hence not a Jew either... and
it seems to me his name is given as a way of marking the year, he's not an
actual character in Daniel. There may be a midrash or legend about this of
which I am unaware but from my standpoint it still doesn't solve the
immediate confusion with Ahasuerus of Esther.

By the way, for what it's worth, neither were Esther or Mordechai Jewish
names at the time of the Purim story: both stem from the names of
Mesopotamian deities. So Ahasuerus could conceivably also have been adopted
as a Jewish name at some point.