[DWJ] HOMEWARD BOUNDERS translation question

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Jul 6 04:09:10 EDT 2010

Hello list! Perhaps you might be able to help us with a translation question
we have not been able to resolve, in THE HOMEWARD BOUNDERS. The expression
"taking the Archangel" repeats several times, and we don't quite know what
it means... it seems to mean something like taking the Mickey or being
disingenuous, but I haven't been able to find it used elsewhere. here are
some quotes:

Chpt. 8: "Helen and Joris lagged a bit, so I turned round to see why. And
there was joris grinning at Helen, and Helen parting her hair in order to
smirk back. I was furious. They were taking the Archangel - as they say in
some worlds. This was Helen's revenge. She and Joris thought I showed off
about all my experience, so they'd chosen to stay here to see what kind of
mess I got them into."

Chpt. 9: "I do think Helen and Joris might have stopped their joke after I
got us off that city station too. [...] When were were outside the station
yard, I turned round to suggest to Helen and Joris that I'd taken enough of
the Archangel now, and to come off it."

Chpt. 10: "Now, you must have noticed that Adam was quick on the uptake. One
side of his mouth gave a bit of a flicker, and he turned to Joris in a
smooth way that I could tell was taking the Archangel. 'Tell me all aobut
Konstam,' he said."

Chpt. 13: "Then I though of Helen. [...] Helen taking the Archangel out of
me and snarling and snapping. She couldn't thank people, Helen. She hated
saying thank you."

So, list... is this a known expression, or a private joke of sorts?