[DWJ] Ansible this week--t-shirts.

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 00:49:39 EDT 2010

Dear All

Many of you will have seen the following comment in Ansible

*Outraged Letters.* <http://news.ansible.co.uk/a276.html#19> *Diana Wynne
> Jones* loves her fans: 'Meanwhile the DWJ List, having supplied me most
> generously with a vast bouquet of exotic blooms and a fine picture, are now
> selecting quotes from my books to put on T shirts. Farah Mendlesohn has
> pronounced this a breach of copyright, but since I have said I don't mind in
> the least, I don't think it is. Actually my own favourite quote is a
> sentence from a student thesis I was once sent: "Jones disagrees".
> Understand that this applies to Farah and not the List.'

As I have now had two people (one on LJ) suggest that I am "anti-fan" I have
asked Dave Langford to print the following, and have sent him a record of
the conversation as proof. (I have asked him not to use any names but my own
and that of Roger Burton West who also chimed in to explain copyright).

Some of you will think I am over reacting, but Ansible has thousands of
readers, and I am well enough known in fandom and academia that this could
(and already has) damage my reputation.

The initial conversation began when someone suggested it would be fun to