[DWJ] Help with DARK LORD page reference

Kyla Mackay-Smith kyla at keyfitz.org
Sat Jul 3 08:34:56 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> If anyone has the original Greenwillow (1998) edition to hand and could
> check a page number or numbers, it would be much appreciated.
>
> The 2 quotes come early in chapter 3, and are on the same page of my pb
> Gollancz copy. The first is:  "Derk annoyed Mara, as he had annoyed her when
> every single other wizard had asked about it by [...] saying, 'Oh, it's just
> one of Mara's clever little universes, you know.'"  The second is:  "This
> Dark Lord business was already putting differences between himself and Mara,
> and he had a feeling it could end by separating them entirely."

Inquiring minds want to know--what are you needing references for? An
article? Sounds interesting.

And unrelated, but possibly of interest to others who haven't discovered
this: DWJ books are great to read out loud--good sentence length,
opportunities for interesting inflection and funny voices. My family has a
10-hour drive to get to my in-laws, and nice as music is, books make the
drive go much faster. So far I've read Tale of Time City (made me notice
the word "matutinal," which I had apparently been skipping over in 20
years of reading the book silently), The Pinhoe Egg (I think this is the
only one where we didn't finish it on the way there; and making griffin
noises is quite amusing, both to the noise-maker and the listeners), and
on this most recent trip, a double feature of Castle in the Air and House
of Many Ways (reading Twinkle's lithp was also quite amusing). Those are
each 8-hour books, the way I read.

Dame May
Was Whitty
But John Greenleaf