[DWJ] Connie Willis signing tomorrow

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Thu Feb 4 13:45:31 EST 2010

I did go.  I decided that since I was no longer coughing or sneezing and
my nose had stopped running, it would probably be ok.  I washed my hands
scrupulously and kept them away from my face.  And I didn't shake her
hand or breathe on her.

And it was FUN!  She is so charming and funny and comfortable.  I asked a
question about literary allusions in the new book and she brought up
Agatha Christie!  And she liked my question and wanted to know if I was a
plant in the crowd to ask her the perfect question.

I did get stupidly tongue tied when it was actually my turn to have my
book signed, so I didn't manage to say anything witty or memorable or
even simply interesting.  But that's ok.

And there were a good number of people:  not a huge crowd, but also not
so few that it would be embarassing.  About 40 people, probably.

If anyone gets the chance to go see her at her upcoming stops, I highly
recommend it.

Jackie

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 22:30:23 -0700 Elizabeth Parks <henx19 at gmail.com>
writes:
> I just went to the Connie Willis signing in Denver, and I think you
> should
> go!  I really enjoyed it, and, what's even more nice, it seemed like
> she
> really enjoyed being there and talking about all manner of things.
> She
> talked a lot about Agatha Christie, who you mention, so it's a
> sign!
>
> As for the numbers, that may just be in lieu of a line--I would call
> and see
> if you can get a number ahead of time.
>
> lizzie
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:02 PM, jstallcup at juno.com
> <jstallcup at juno.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm thinking about heading down to the Connie Willis signing in
> San Diego
> > tomorrow (Wednesday) and was wondering if anyone else is planning
> to be
> > there?
> >
> > I just checked and they have "signing numbers."  I've only ever
> been to one
> > signing, so I don't really know what that means.  Do they expect a
> lot of
> > people?  I might get there and not be able to get a book or get it
> signed?
> >
> > Also, I have a cold, and am having visions of that Agatha Christie
> novel
> > "The Mirror Crack'd":  suppose I give her my cold? What if it
> turned into
> > pneumonia???? I'd be "the terrible person who gave Connie Willis
> pneumonia"
> >  Pneumonia Jackie!!!
> >
> > So maybe I shouldn't go.
> >
> > Can you tell I'm having trouble thinking straight?
> >
> > Jackie
> >
> > Obdwj:  DWJ doesn't do signings, does she?  I'd definitely not
> want to give
> > her a cold!

> > Banking
> > Click here to find the perfect banking opportunity!

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=rW06gx1ZBBJcvaZTicKLVAAAJ1D
BokKpP6cea9388otGd2jrAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXeAAAAAA=