[DWJ] Chrestomanci needs help in the YA Fantasy Showdown

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 14:08:24 EDT 2010

> Eugenides?  Katniss?  Not sure, though my not sureness about Katniss is
>> mostly from not caring a whole lot.  I haven't read *Little Sister*, so
>> didn't know about Gohanu, but the cover is kind of appealing. The
>> characters of colour count is definitely better than two, at any rate
>>

> But I call shenanigans on Eugenides and Katniss. Eugenides maps
> most closely to Greek-or-other-Mediterranean, which is not
> "person of color" for 21st-century American author Megan Whalen
> Turner's readers (nor is it "person of color" in his own context,
> so he doesn't count either way). And as for Katniss, I would like
> a text to do more physical description than "olive skin, dark
> hair, gray eyes" before I feel like it's doing something about
> the overwhelming whiteness of science fiction and fantasy in
> children's and YA. Sure, Katniss could map to Latina. She could
> also map to Greek. Hell, she could also map to Eastern European
> Jew (I say, looking at the faint green tint of my own skin).

Yes, I quite agree on Eugenides - what I'm actually not sure about is how an
argument could even be made for him as a CoC.  MWT herself has said her
research involved studying Greece, both ancient and 1500s, and as you say,
that part of the Mediterranean certainly doesn't qualify.  And while you
might *possibly* make a
Katniss=discriminated-against-minority-on-basis-of-birth argument (I
wouldn't, but I suppose it's possible), that would doubly disqualify Gen,
who's anything but disadvantaged by birth.

It's a pity, because there are good things about the showdown, quite aside
from DWJ's being the only author to have two characters. We could always
leave friendly comments on the blog, I guess.

Hallie