[DWJ] Comic strip about the Magicians of Caprona

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Fri Apr 16 14:14:45 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Otter Perry" <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Comic strip about the Magicians of Caprona

> On Apr 16, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Jenny Schwartzberg wrote:
>
>> *What do you think?  Would it make someone who hadn't read the  book, go
>> and find a copy to read?
>>
>> Yours,
>> Jenny Schwartzberg
>> The Newberry Library
>
> Speaking for myself? No.
>
> I think the puppets are creepy.

I dunno. There ARE puppets in the book, and they ARE creepy. But making the
book into a puppet show distorts things. I am not quite sure how you make
puppets be creeped out at being puppets.

I didn't think the strip made sense at all -- they hadn't chosen the right
things to make any element of the situation clear. You can't even tell the
difference between Tonino and Paolo (of course I always get them mixed up in
the book, anyway -- somehow Paolo seems like a more diffident name, and
suits Tonino better than his own does, though Paolo isn't a very brash
person either).

Helen Schinske