[DWJ] Comic strip about the Magicians of Caprona

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Fri Apr 16 12:32:43 EDT 2010

On 16/04/10 16:01, Jenny Schwartzberg wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> The Unshelved online comic strip does a weekly Book Club where guest
> artists do a comic strip page promoting a book. This Friday's book is
> The Magicians of Caprona. Take a look:
> http://www.unshelved.com/2010-4-16?utm_source=Overdue+Media&utm_campaign=b5355d00c1-UA-127250-5&utm_medium=email
>
> or
> *http://tinyurl.com/y2kplxa
>
> *What do you think? Would it make someone who hadn't read the book, go
> and find a copy to read?

Well, it makes *me* want to read it again.  I always loved the effect
that book has on Tonino -- not so far beyond what some of DWJ's books
did to me at a similar age -- and the fact that in his world, fantasy
books are the ones without any magic.

I'm not sure how much sense the strip would make to someone who hadn't
read the book before.  But maybe it doesn't matter.  Somewhere I've
probably still got a booklet I obtained during a classroom clearout aged
9, that accompanied a schools radio programme I never listened to.  It
contained an excerpt from _Marianne Dreams_, completely out of context.
  I don't think it even said what the book was; at any rate, I didn't
track down a copy until years later.  Not knowing what it was about just
made it more interesting to me, and led to me writing quite a lot of
deliberately mysterious stuff in the hope of inducing the same effect in
other people, before I realised it didn't work that way.

	Eleanor