[DWJ] Personal Plumbing, spoiler alert SP:

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Thu Nov 12 03:54:04 EST 2009

Otter Perry wrote:

> One of the times that I find it annoying is in _Monstrous
> Regiment_ by Terry Pratchett.  The story takes place over a
> brief enough time so that it might not arise for the heroine.
> But -- trying to skirt the spoilers problem here -- there
> is at least one character for whom it ought to present some
> kind of problem.

That's interesting.  I wonder which you mean.  Being a lifelong single
male brought up in a household where such things were not discussed at
dinner or in front of the menfolk, the possibility did occur to me, in
the abstract, but I did not spent much time pondering it over.

If you like, can't we be specific if we mark our posts as spoilers?  A
reasonable moratorium on discussing spoilers in Ms. Wynne Jones' new
books, of course, but in off-topic posts about books by other authors
that have been out for a good while already, I see no harm in it.

I'm sure Sgt. Jackrum had some difficulties over the years, covering for
all his *wink, wink*, *knudge, knudge* men.  I also suspect, though,
that a sergeant can get away with a lot.   The chief difficulty, it
seems to me, would be peeing while standing up in the presence of other
men.  He must have mastered it, however.  Pratchett wisely stayed vague
about the specifics, however annoying it is.  Wouldn't menstruation just
be a detail?  I mean, if one was already making use of a pair of
strategic socks?  Jackrum was old.  After a certain age, that detail
would eventually take care of itself.  Now the pregnancy, well...

Mark A.