[DWJ] Personal Plumbing

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Nov 11 14:51:50 EST 2009

On Nov 11, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Victoria wrote:

> Otter Perry wrote:
>> Meanwhile, can anybody think of an adult heroine who menstruates?
>> Other than in chicklit, where I suppose they do, but I don't read it
>> so I don't really know.
>
> Someone else mentioned a Le Guin story--I think she's generally
> pretty forthright about menstruation and other bodily functions.
> Another instance: in Tehanu, Tenar is startled into a lie about
> some bloody linen soaking in a tub.  Someone had been stabbed with
> a pitchfork, but she tells her child that her period came on
> early.  I'm sure I could come up with other instances where needing
> to use the toilet and/or menstruation are mentioned in the course
> of things.  I like that.  It has to fit with the writing style,
> though, or it can take you out of the story.  Le Guin is a very
> earthy writer, for the most part, so it fits.

Actually, when it comes down to it, I can think of a good example.
In _The Danger_ by Dick Francis, one of the humiliations of being
a kidnap victim is having to beg for something to use when she
gets her period.

One of the times that I find it annoying is in _Monstrous
Regiment_ by Terry Pratchett.  The story takes place over a
brief enough time so that it might not arise for the heroine.
But -- trying to skirt the spoilers problem here -- there
is at least one character for whom it ought to present some
kind of problem.

All lives should have nine cats.