[DWJ] Personal Plumbing was Splatchers and Ransome was branding books was What are you reading?

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 23:39:38 EST 2009

There is a book (damn, I am blanking on both the title and the author's name, although I seem to feel a vague leaning toward Margaret Ball) where the heroine, a young girl from the slums on a space station, escapes down-planet by impersonating a Special Agent.  She doesn't speak the local language, but manages to get some sleep-learning plugs. Then she is captured (sort of) by locals who think that the sleep plugs are -ahem- what girls use.... the older soldier takes the younger one aside to explain it -- rather funny..-- )(WHAT is the name of that?).