[DWJ] branding books (was What are you reading?)

Rosemary Hopkins rosieburroughs at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 13:43:07 EST 2009

--- On Wed, 4/11/09, deborah.dwj at suberic.net <deborah.dwj at suberic.net> wrote:

> Actually, I really liked as a child
> that all the Shoes books were
> branded together in the United States, because they
> actually were
> distinct series. All of them happened in the same world,
> the
> world containing the school, even if they happened to
> different
> people over different generations. They all happened in the
> world
> which contained the Fossils.

But not all of them do happen explicitly in "the world containing the school", unless by that you just mean "Streatfeild-world". Ballet Shoes, Curtain Up (Theatre Shoes), The Painted Garden (Movie Shoes) and Apple Bough (??? Shoes) contain the school and the Fossils; Tennis Shoes, White Boots (Skating Shoes), The Circus is Coming (Circus Shoes), Party Frock (Party Shoes) and Wintle's Wonders (Dancing Shoes) don't. I am not sure about the Bell family books, as I haven't read them for a long time.

What gets me about some of the title changes is that they don't mean anything. What are circus shoes, movie shoes, etc., meant to be?

Rosie