[DWJ] What are you reading?

Roslyn Gross rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Sun Nov 8 01:02:14 EST 2009

I've been so busy (at work, but also I recently moved house) that it's been
taking me ages to finish books, but I've read some good ones. I've just
finished reading _The World to Come_ by Dara Horn. It's mystical and lyrical
but sometimes gets a bit twee  when it takes its central metaphors too far.
It contains interesting stuff about Yiddish and some of the great Yiddish
writers - in fact, it features some of them as characters (it also features
Marc Chagall as a character, and isn't entirely positive about him either).
All in all, I very much enjoyed it.

Before that, I read _Verdigris Deep_ by Francis Hardinge, which was
wonderful, and reminiscent in many ways of DWJ. I also read the latest Paul
Magrs, _Conjugal Rites_. I've loved that whole series so far - funny and
quirky - a lot of fun. I've also comparatively recently discovered Patrick
O'Brien, introduced to me by a colleague. The characterisation is so vivid
and subtle - reminds me of Austen at times.

Other books read recently: _Chalice_ by Robin McKinley, _General Winston's
Daughter_ by Sharon Shinn and the latest in Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1
Ladies Detective Agency and Isabel Dalhousie series.

Have been lurking and enjoying the recent flood of posts!

Ros