[DWJ] What are you reading?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Nov 7 15:30:50 EST 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 4:19 AM, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>>> What about "different than"?  I'm fairly sure that's what I
>>> usually use.
> I grew up in Connecticut.
>
> I once had an (Israeli) linguistics professor tell me that the fact
> that I
> use "different than" proves that I am not a native speaker of
> English. For
> the record, and those of you who have met me can probably confirm
> this, I
> speak English with a nearly indistinguishable American accent. My
> first
> words were in Hebrew but my first complete sentences were in
> English. My
> primary language for reading is English but I prefer writing in
> Hebrew. At
> home I do a lot of what linguists call "code switching", which means
> speaking a mixture of languages (effortlessly, and without
> thought). I think
> by almost any measure I would be considered a perfect bilingual - but
> apparantly, no, I use "different than", so my English is not
> natural...

Your linguistics professor was WRONG.  As you are perfectly well aware.
I am very definitely a native speaker of American English and, on the
whole, excellent standard American English. And if I say "different
than",
then It's okay to say "different than" in American English.

So _there_!

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats
for they are cunning, and you sleep
with your mouth open.