[DWJ] What are you reading?

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 08:43:10 EST 2009

> I once had an (Israeli) linguistics professor tell me that the fact that I
> use "different than" proves that I am not a native speaker of English.

And now I'm wondering what I say... truth be told, I think I'm probably
inconsistent, but most of the time, I probably say "different from". Your
professor was right about one thing: prepositions and the like are the bane
of ESL speakers. (In Swedish, the most common word for different is "olik" =
"unlike", which is used without a preposition. But the word "annorlunda" is
followed by "än", which I suppose would translate to "different than".)

Katta