[DWJ] What are you reading?

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sat Nov 7 06:19:32 EST 2009

>> What about "different than"?  I'm fairly sure that's what I usually use.
I grew up in Connecticut.

I once had an (Israeli) linguistics professor tell me that the fact that I
use "different than" proves that I am not a native speaker of English. For
the record, and those of you who have met me can probably confirm this, I
speak English with a nearly indistinguishable American accent. My first
words were in Hebrew but my first complete sentences were in English. My
primary language for reading is English but I prefer writing in Hebrew. At
home I do a lot of what linguists call "code switching", which means
speaking a mixture of languages (effortlessly, and without thought). I think
by almost any measure I would be considered a perfect bilingual - but
apparantly, no, I use "different than", so my English is not natural...