[DWJ] Personal Plumbing was Splatchers and Ransome was branding books was What are you reading?

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:54:20 EST 2009

2009/11/7 Katarina Hjärpe <katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com>

> Concerning menstruation, this bit in Isabel Allende's Zorro novel is about
> minor character, but I found it pretty unforgettable:
>
> *When Bernardo started smiling again, the grandmother decided that she had
> done all she could for him and that the time had come to send him back to
> the de la Vega hacienda. She was occupied in the rites and ceremonies that
> would acknowledge Light-in-the-Night's first menstrual period; nearly
> overnight she was an adolescent. That sudden transition did not distance
> her
> from Bernardo; on the contrary, it seemed to bring them closer together. As
> a farewell, she took him once again to the river and on a rock, using her
> menstrual blood, drew two birds in flight. "This is us, we will always fly
> together," she told him. Bernardo spontaneously kissed her and then ran off
> like the wind, with his body aflame.*
>
> I'm all for novels talking about bodily functions, but I have to admit,
> this
> made me go WTF.

Oh god, and I've just now remembered the infamous (used) tampon throwing
scene in Aidan Chambers' This Is All: The Pillow Book of Cordelia
Whatsherface...  I generally love Chambers' books but this scene (if you've
read it, never forgotten, if you haven't, spare yourself!) was my all-time
WTF moment in any book I've read ever. If I didn't know better I'd have
actually questioned in Chambers had ever met a living female, which of
course I know he has and he's a lovely man, but this scene was beyond
belief...

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)