[DWJ] Personal Plumbing was Splatchers and Ransome was branding books was What are you reading?

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:51:02 EST 2009

2009/11/7 Tarja Rainio <tarja.rainio at gmail.com>

> About menstruation, Kristin Cashore's _Fire_ mentions it and in a very
> realistic light. The heroine is a human "monster" (in that world's terms)
> and in that world all monsters whether human or animal crave the blood and
> flesh of other monsters. So whenenver she has her perios, she has to be
> accompanied by extra guards to protect her from the various other monsters
> that can scent her blood. This also means that everybody in the town she
> lives in (or wherever she visits) is aware of her period, since she is
> always accompanied by extra guards at that time.

Thanks, Tarja, I was sure Cashore included menstruation in her books and I
can't imagine how I could have forgotten the detail as you describe above.
It's so intrinsic to the story and Fire's nature.

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)