[DWJ] Personal Plumbing was Splatchers and Ransome was branding books was What are you reading?

Kyra Jucovy arykiy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:45:34 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Otter Perry <
ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Judith Ridge wrote:
>
>  2009/11/6 Elizabeth Bentley <ebentleysln at googlemail.com>
>>
>>  I remember being impressed that the children in Homecoming (Voigt) all
>>> took
>>> time out to pee. I wonder which were the earliest children's books to
>>> start
>>> mentioning such bodily functions.
>>>

>> Not sure about peeing, but Louise Fitzhugh's companion to Harriet the Spy,
>> The Long Secret, was (I believe) the first in which menstruation was
>> discussed frankly (and hilariously). 1965
>>

> Hmm.  I remember reading that, but it's been a while.
>
> Meanwhile, can anybody think of an adult heroine who menstruates?
> Other than in chicklit, where I suppose they do, but I don't read it
> so I don't really know.

Menstruation totally comes up in "The True State of Affairs" - Emily
realizes that she hasn't been keeping track of time and has actually been
imprisoned for more like three months than a month because she "need[s] the
wad of flannel" for the third time!

---Kyra