[DWJ] Classic books (was What are you reading?)

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Fri Nov 6 14:08:09 EST 2009

Trust this list to just EXPLODE with activity right when I happen to be away
and unable to check my email for a week. I was attending the World Fantasy
Convention, which is a blast: it's a small con and dominated by
professionals, almost every one there is either a writer, editor, agent,
publisher or something closely related. The sort of place where you can put
faces to the books you've been reading, and you keep brushing up against
people of unbelievable talent and having to squelch the inclination to go
all fannish on them.

Going to WFC involved long stops in three airports: Ben Gurion, Heathrow and
San Francisco. And of course the first thing I compare in each one is the
bookstores. Let me just say, if I had to be stuck reading only what arrived
at one airport's bookstores for the rest of my life, there is absolutely no
question I would choose Heathrow. For the trip to San Francisco I bought
Philip Reeve's "There's No Such Thing As Dragons" (short but sweet) and
Patrick Ness' "The Ask and the Answer" (which I discovered I didn't really
want to read after all). There were several other books I was considering,
as well as several I'd already read. In San Francisco it was hard to find a
single book that looked attractive or intriguing. They had a whole shelf
devoted to vampire books, which only served to completely turn me off the
idea of vampire books, though conceivably some of them may have been
alright. Right now I'm reading something by Robin McKinley which was in my
unbelievably laden WFC swag-bag. The fact that I can't remember the name of
the book is indicative of nothing, I usually really enjoy McKinley.