[DWJ] Personal Plumbing was Splatchers and Ransome was branding books was What are you reading?

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Fri Nov 6 12:56:11 EST 2009

Mark Allums wrote:

> It has been done many times in literature (and theatre), recently in
> Pratchett's _Monstrous Regiment_, though I don't blame Pratchett for
> conveniently not mentioning menstruation.

Of course I am referring to women impersonating men in roles for long
durations.  As to the general topic of hygiene and sanitary arrangements
and sex and the like, I am in harmony with most all of us, in that
unless in is pertinent, I would just as soon skip it.

Douglas Adams commented on this in one of his books.  Something about
the big, thick, fat books "the American market thrives on".  On the
other hand, the beginning of Hitchhiker's has Arthur Dent going through
his morning ablutions.  Pertinent, though.

Another example of an impersonation:  Shakespeare in Love.  I guess this
qualifies as theatre.

Mark A.