[DWJ] Personal Plumbing was Splatchers and Ransome was branding books was What are you reading?

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:32:16 EST 2009

One also tends to forget with real cases that actually menstruating
regularly, once every twenty-eight days or so, is not and has not been as
common as we often assume.  I (sorry if this is overshare) skip periods when
I change time zones that are more than five or six hours apart.  Women
frequently skip periods in times of less food, stress, etc: I'm sure that
Civil War battles and the like would qualify as stressful. . . though if I
remember correctly, at least one woman soldier was caught when they found
menstrual blood on her saddle, though I can't remember exactly who and when
and where this was, sadly :(  There's a brief article on women in the Civil
War here
http://civilwarstudies.org/articles/Vol_1/women-in-the-civil-war.shtm that
may be talking about who Mark remembers.

This whole discussion about mentioning toilet facilities in novels reminds
of Twigliht, actually.  The whole time I was reading the series, I kept
getting yanked out of it by the frequent mentions of what Bella a) chose to
wear or b) served her father for dinner.  In most novels, putting in bodily
functions would be as pointless, so I'm agreeing with Kathleen here.  It's
on my list with sex in romance novels as something that I can probably
assume without needing a graphic play by play.

(The worst sex in romance novels isn't even the graphic stuff, though; it's
the list of the heroine's past lovers, or the explanation about her first
lover, or whatever else gets used to explain the part where she's not a
virgin but isn't a huge ho either.)

lizzie, who reads jennifer crusie novels and skips the sex scenes (I started
reading my mom's harlequin romances when I was about six.  The sex stopped
being interesting when I was about twelve.  though the most sexually
titallating book I remember from my young childhood was the Old Testament,
so I guess if we're totally disregarding authorial intent than we should
consider the Old Testament porn. . ..)