[DWJ] Personal Plumbing

Eleanor Joslin eleanor at dreamvine.org.uk
Fri Nov 6 08:23:57 EST 2009

Ulrika Isacsson wrote:
>> Meanwhile, can anybody think of an adult heroine who menstruates?
>> Other than in chicklit, where I suppose they do, but I don't read it
>> so I don't really know.
>>

> It was quite a long time ago since I read Cross Stitch and the other books
> by Diana Gabaldon, but I'm pretty sure that Claire menstruates. At least she
> notices the lack of it at one time.

One of the women in Le Guin's "Four Ways To Forgiveness" definitely
does, because she gets held hostage for weeks and is angry that her
captors give her girly things like a mirror, perfume etc. and tampons
(she's from a much more liberated planet than them) even though she
knows she's going to need the tampons if they keep her for long enough.
  And I think they do.

	Eleanor