[DWJ] Personal Plumbing was Splatchers and Ransome was branding books was What are you reading?

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 03:31:13 EST 2009

Kathleen:

Otter Perry <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:
> > Meanwhile, can anybody think of an adult heroine who menstruates?
>
> It's often specifically brought up so it can be done away with - eg in
> Alison Goodman's The Two Pearls of Wisdom, the heroine is taking a
> drugged & poisonous tea to stop it.
>
> Yes, I was thinking of that one too.  Also _Bloody Jack_ (sorry!) by L.A.
Meyer.  That one takes the old ballad theme of 'she cut off her hair, bound
her breasts and signed on as a ship's boy' through quite a detailed (if not
always entirely credible) look at how, exactly, a girl might manage to
maintain the disguise on a ship full of men...  (Admittedly, she's young
enough not to have to bind her breasts OR worry about menstruation when she
signs up, though the toilet arrangements are still a problem!)

Hallie