[DWJ] Personal Plumbing was Splatchers and Ransome was branding books was What are you reading?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Nov 5 23:12:29 EST 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Judith Ridge wrote:

> 2009/11/6 Elizabeth Bentley <ebentleysln at googlemail.com>
>
>> I remember being impressed that the children in Homecoming (Voigt)
>> all took
>> time out to pee. I wonder which were the earliest children's books
>> to start
>> mentioning such bodily functions.
>
> Not sure about peeing, but Louise Fitzhugh's companion to Harriet
> the Spy,
> The Long Secret, was (I believe) the first in which menstruation was
> discussed frankly (and hilariously). 1965

Hmm.  I remember reading that, but it's been a while.

Meanwhile, can anybody think of an adult heroine who menstruates?
Other than in chicklit, where I suppose they do, but I don't read it
so I don't really know.

 From my close observation of writers... they fall
into two groups: those who bleed copiously and
visibly at any bad review, and those who bleed
copiously and secretly at any bad review.

                                        -- Isaac Asimov