[DWJ] Splatchers and Ransome was Re: branding books (was What are you reading?)

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 18:51:09 EST 2009

2009/11/6 Elizabeth Bentley <ebentleysln at googlemail.com>

> I remember being impressed that the children in Homecoming (Voigt) all took
> time out to pee. I wonder which were the earliest children's books to start
> mentioning such bodily functions.

Not sure about peeing, but Louise Fitzhugh's companion to Harriet the Spy,
The Long Secret, was (I believe) the first in which menstruation was
discussed frankly (and hilariously). 1965

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)