[DWJ] fighting the Paper Mills was re: Classics

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Nov 5 15:27:42 EST 2009

robyn suggested
>> Dude, who needs turnitin when most plagiarizers are too stupid to change the
>> font so that their copypasta matches the rest of the essay?

I am thankful that there just aren't going to be paper mills
selling papers my students could possible use.

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Minnow wrote:
> There was a published book that did this, some years ago: much of it was in
> one font and reasonably competent fantasy-Irishrey based on old stories,
> but two pages or a bit more were pure gold -- and in a different font.
> They were word-for-word lifted from James Stephens' *Irish Fairy Tales*.

I reviewed a technology book at one point and, puzzled about why
the tone and writing style varied so much from paragraph to
paragraph, I asked Ms. Wikipedia.  And yes, in fact she'd written
most of that chapter.  My review was ... interesting.

And now, off to class.  Coraline, Sabriel, and The House with the
Clock in its Walls.

-deborah