[DWJ] Splatchers and Ransome was Re: branding books (was What are you reading?)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Nov 5 12:27:27 EST 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 9:48 AM, Minnow wrote:

> Me and Otter:
>>> I thought Jesus boots was simply a clever way of saying "sandals".
>>
>> Well, I've seen them, though it's been 40 years or more.  They
>> were fairly big, like big snowshoes, and thick and had slanty
>> bits on the bottoms to make directional travel possible.  They
>> were made of something relatively light, though I'm not sure
>> what that would have been.  They were _not_ easy to use.
>
> I don't think they sound it; but then, nor are splatchers.
> Wouldn't a boat
> be simply, well *simpler*?

Of course it would.

>> And, courtesy of Google, I now know what a splatcher is.
>
> They are an important part of *Secret Water*, and the reason that
> Mastodon
> is so called.
>
> In their case a boat would be of no use whatever as a substitute.

Well, I thought I'd read all of the Swallows and Amazons books, but
I don't remember *Secret Water*, even after reading a small plot
synopsis in Wikipedia.  Maybe I need to revisit them.  [Well, some
of them -- I was deeply annoyed by a couple and _slightly_
annoyed by most of them, because of all the camping out they
did without ever making any sanitary arrangements.  I camped
out myself quite a bit in my youth and sanitary arrangements
tended to loom large, particularly if you had to do much
digging.]

In America, anybody can be president.  That's
one of the risks you take.

                                - Adlai Stevenson