[DWJ] fighting the Paper Mills was re: Classics

Steinke, Gabriela M G.Steinke at wlv.ac.uk
Thu Nov 5 06:59:11 EST 2009

Turnitin is used by many UK universities, but is easily circumvented by
students who change the order of paragraphs and the odd word here and
there. I recently had an essay which came straight from wikipedia
(including the quotes from the text to be discussed!), with only about
5% of the student's own words. Turnitin only detected 28% plagiarism.
Google is usually more helpful.

Sorry to go on a bit, I suspect most academics just hate this copying
and buying of essays.

Gaby

Otter Perry wrote:

I talked to my sister the TESOL this evening.

The university for which she is teaching subscribes to the service for
checking papers.  It checks against all the papers it has ever checked,
the internet, and many scholarly publications.

It's http://www.turnitin.com

The safest general characterization of the European philosophical
tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato.

                 - Alfred North Whitehead

Scanned by iCritical.