[DWJ] What are you reading?

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu Nov 5 03:25:34 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 10:00:13AM -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

>My little pile of notebooks is very useful for just that reason...I figured
>that when I couldn't remember what year I'd read a book, I needed an
>auxiliary memory.  A few years after I began the log, I started keeping
>Excel files just listing the books with no comments to help with that end of
>year list.  *That* showed me that I was still missing books--of course I
>read _Anansi Boys_, so why isn't it in the record?  Or _The Game_, which is
>just embarrassing.

I manage this mostly by putting a book in the list the moment I finish
it - even if that means getting out of bed to make the note...

>I hate when well-meaning people decide to edit
>perfectly unobjectionable books.  It also makes me very confused if I sit
>down to an edition that is different from the one I remember.  I can't tell
>whether or not I'm the crazy one.

At least you're not trying to make sense of T H White. Someone should
have taken him aside and said "the book is out there, old chap, and
you're not allowed to fiddle with it any more".

>(See how I said "different from"?  I know all-y'all on the other side of the
>Atlantic say "different to" and I am always conscious of the difference when
>I say or write it.)

Hang on, I thought you were in the USA? "Different to" in BrE is
generally a sign of an uneducated or careless writer, or at least
someone deliberately trying for that voice.

Roger