[DWJ] What are you reading?

Wed Nov 4 20:38:01 EST 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 19:21:30 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Yes, to the editing, but I should have added that this was done during
>Alcott's life - it was an 1880 edition with illustrations and lots of
>changes.  Aside from the ones to Marmee's appearance, they also made her
>make Laurie less androgynous and less foreign!    According to Elaine
>Showalter, the 1880 edition is the one that most everyone reads.  I avoided
>this by reading and rereading _An Old Fashioned Girl_ instead, as I couldn't
>stand _Little Women_ as a child.

My favorite was actually _Eight Cousins_.  I had my mother's old Whitman
copy (still have it) and something about the book always appealed to me.  It
seemed full of very vivid and concrete images of things I had no frame of
reference for, like the way they played charades and Rose's "liberty suit"
and so forth.  So not my world.

Melissa Proffitt