[DWJ] What are you reading?

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 14:21:30 EST 2009

Melissa: Do you have the Penguin

> >Classics edition?  I thought it was fascinating (in an infuriating kind of
> >way!) that Marmee was changed from the original version- a 'stout,
> motherly
> >lady, and not 'a particularly handsome person' to a tall rather than stout
> >one, 'not elegantly dressed, but a noble-looking woman'.
>
> I have three editions: one is a cheap copy of just _Little Women_ and not
> the second half, but doesn't seem to have been edited otherwise (for years
> thought a "delicious redowa" was some kind of drink); the movie-cover
> edition, which was the cheapest version I could find when I decided I
> needed
> the whole book; and the Barnes & Noble classic edition, with annotations,
> that I haven't looked at--it was a dollar at the thrift store and in
> beautiful condition.  I hate when well-meaning people decide to edit
> perfectly unobjectionable books.

Yum - I want a delicious redowa now.

Yes, to the editing, but I should have added that this was done during
Alcott's life - it was an 1880 edition with illustrations and lots of
changes.  Aside from the ones to Marmee's appearance, they also made her
make Laurie less androgynous and less foreign!    According to Elaine
Showalter, the 1880 edition is the one that most everyone reads.  I avoided
this by reading and rereading _An Old Fashioned Girl_ instead, as I couldn't
stand _Little Women_ as a child.

Hallie