[DWJ] What are you reading?

Emma Comerford comerford.emma at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 13:52:53 EST 2009

I've been keeping a simple spreadsheet tracking what books I've read for the
last couple of years - it's very useful for "best of" lists, like Hallie
said, plus it's just interesting to see how much and what type of books I'm
reading. I read about the amount I thought, but more children's/YA than
expected - around a third (though I can't remember now why I was surprised
by this, perhaps because the adult books are typically longer and so take
longer to read?).

I've just finished Isabella L Bird's _The Hawaiian Archipelago_, a travel
memoir in the form of letters from the19th century. Kathleen from this list
inspired me to start reading Isabella's travel books. Isabella is a
fascinating mixture of a very recognisably Victorian woman, particularly in
her views towards race, imperialism and religion, but in other ways does
things as a single woman that would be astonishing today, such as riding off
alone in foreign countries (sometimes in countries where she is one of the
first Western people to visit) where she doesn't speak the language and
won't be in touch with anyone she knows again for ages. Plus she considers
near death experiences to be small adventures.

I've just started a mystery novel set in the 19th century by Kate Ross _Cut
to the quick_. I'm enjoying it so far, it feels like it will be light
hearted but still interesting.

For children's books, I just read and loved _The gone-away lake_ by
Elizabeth Enright. Enright is an author I've only discovered as an adult,
but I'm really loving her books. They're classic family stories.

Emma