[DWJ] Classic books

Kyra Jucovy arykiy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 13:28:08 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Jane Scarlett <mail at janescarlett.com> wrote:

> > I disliked _Huckleberry Finn_ intensely when I read it, mostly because of
> > the slavery thing and the way Jim is treated as a consequence.
>
> I haven't read this, but read Uncle Tom's Cabin about a year ago, and it
> was
> a real struggle.  Fascinating to see how much attitudes have changed,
> because I found it horribly patronising, characters mostly unbelievable,
> dreadful plot, mawkish sentiment.  Hard to reconcile the book with the
> impact it had at the time.  Has anyone else read it?
>
> Jane

I had read _Uncle Tom's Cabin_ twice for class (once in middle school, once
in graduate school) and found it pretty terrible both times.  Th en, last
year, I suddenly decided I needed to read it again in order to fangirl St.
Clare.  It was a kind of weird moment (and possibly inspired by re-reading *
Dalemark* - I think my thought process went something along the lines of,
"hey, you know who *else *is an extremely sarcastic Southern aristocrat,
thought by most people to be very lazy, with a daughter and a nasty
brother?"  I am alarmed by the way that the ObDWJs just come up naturally in
these posts I'm writing about classic literature - I guess it shows how much
I think about DWJ!), but I ended up enjoying the book a lot more this time.
I particularly like the way that St. Clare stops being lazy and repents,
gets killed off instantly such that he never actually demonstrates his
repentance in any sort of way, and still, we are assured, gets to go to
heaven.

---Kyra