[DWJ] Classic books

Wed Nov 4 12:08:32 EST 2009

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 20:57:03 -0700, Elizabeth Parks wrote:

>I notice that most of the novels being mentioned are British, and I was
>thinking about what American stuff I would recommend, and for a basic course
>through the U.S. classics you can't really beat short stories.  Poe, of
>course, and Hawthorne, and Flannery O'Connor.  Honestly, if anyone hasn't
>read O'Connor, go do so now.

No kidding.  I was in the library one day, wandering around, and suddenly
realized that O'Connor was what I wanted to read right then immediately.  I
was dipping into her short stories for a couple of weeks.  What brilliant
prose, and such amazing perception.  My daughter was assigned "Everything
That Rises Must Converge" shortly after this--what a joy to share it with
her.

I hadn't thought about it before, but you're right, some of the best U.S.
classics are short works.  I mean, I like Faulkner's novels fine, but "A
Rose for Emily" is etched into my brain.  And I don't think I've read any of
Poe's short stories recently.  Good idea.

Melissa Proffitt