[DWJ] What are you reading?

Wed Nov 4 12:00:13 EST 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:32:39 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Beck:
>
>On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Beck Laxton <becklaxton at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> What a perfect thread to get us all talking again! Has anyone else had the
>> thought that they ought to keep a book diary the way dieters are supposed to
>> keep a food diary? I have no idea how many books I read in a week, but I
>> suspect it's more than I think...

>I've kept a book log since being inspired by Melissa to do a best (and
>occasionally worst too) books of the year list.  Not that I read more books
>in a week than I'd have thought, but can never remember which year some were
>read. Goodreads also helps when I forget to note a book I've just finished
>in my notebook.

My little pile of notebooks is very useful for just that reason...I figured
that when I couldn't remember what year I'd read a book, I needed an
auxiliary memory.  A few years after I began the log, I started keeping
Excel files just listing the books with no comments to help with that end of
year list.  *That* showed me that I was still missing books--of course I
read _Anansi Boys_, so why isn't it in the record?  Or _The Game_, which is
just embarrassing.

>> I am very pleased to have just bought (from Oxfam) a proper edition of
>> Little Women, with footnotes, and some bits normally edited out kept in -
>> which I think is just the names of the dances Meg does when she goes to the
>> Gardiners' dance with Jo in Chapter 3. Does anyone know what was risqué
>> about a redova?

>I don't think anything was risqué about a redowa at all.  It was a fast,
>polka-like dance, and I'd bet they just cut out the names because they
>thought kids would be bored and/or confused.  Do you have the Penguin
>Classics edition?  I thought it was fascinating (in an infuriating kind of
>way!) that Marmee was changed from the original version- a 'stout, motherly
>lady, and not 'a particularly handsome person' to a tall rather than stout
>one, 'not elegantly dressed, but a noble-looking woman'.

I have three editions: one is a cheap copy of just _Little Women_ and not
the second half, but doesn't seem to have been edited otherwise (for years I
thought a "delicious redowa" was some kind of drink); the movie-cover
edition, which was the cheapest version I could find when I decided I needed
the whole book; and the Barnes & Noble classic edition, with annotations,
that I haven't looked at--it was a dollar at the thrift store and in
beautiful condition.  I hate when well-meaning people decide to edit
perfectly unobjectionable books.  It also makes me very confused if I sit
down to an edition that is different from the one I remember.  I can't tell
whether or not I'm the crazy one.

(See how I said "different from"?  I know all-y'all on the other side of the
Atlantic say "different to" and I am always conscious of the difference when
I say or write it.)

>I think it was someone on Girlsown who mentioned this edition; I know I
>> still get excited re-reading my edition of 'The Painted Garden' by Noel
>> Streatfeild, which has whole chapters left out of the Puffin paperback.
>>
>As others have said - argh!  Can't find my copy now, but that's horrific.

That's just pure wrong.  Gaah.  Reminds me that my dear mother bought a copy
of _Movie Shoes_ and...gave it to my niece and not to me.

Melissa Proffitt