[DWJ] Porn? (was What are we reading?)

devra at aol.com devra at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 11:41:57 EST 2009

<<I conclude that a book might be porn if people read it *for* the sexual
descriptions and titilation thereby, and not-porn if they read it *in spite
of* the sex-bits.

(In my darker moments I tend to wonder whether yeraverage reader not being
able to remember title or author two days after reading a book full of sex,
or the names of the central characters, might be enough to damn that book
whether it is called "porn" or not.)

I'd be interested to know whether people here, who obviously do read
not-porn not-romance (well, DWJ isn't porn, though some of her books have
romances in them) have views about this.

Minnow>>

I feel that way about Jennifer Cruisie, whose works were recommended to me by Lois Bujold. She was apparently a lit major who wrote a thesis on romance novels, and said, "I can do that.  I can do that BETTER!" and went on to sell, first to Harlequin, and then into hardcover.  When I read a new one of her books, I'll read the sex scenes, and then when I re-read it, just skip over them. (I just re-read FAST WOMEN, which I love, and then there's FAKING IT...)

Happily, they are reprinting her early titles, which have been difficult (and expensive!) to find. CHARLIE ALL NIGHT and WELCOME TO TEMPTATION are good also.

Devra (who reads Betty Neels also - just like eating melted marshmallows.... but she has NO sex in her books. In fact, a lot of the heroines don't sleep with their husbands for the first couple of months... sheesh.)