[DWJ] Porn? (was What are we reading?)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Nov 4 09:39:36 EST 2009

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Minnow wrote:
> I'd be interested to know whether people here, who obviously do read
> not-porn not-romance (well, DWJ isn't porn, though some of her books have
> romances in them) have views about this.

I don't know. I'm a reader of:

* books that are neither porn nor romance
* romance which contains no explicit eroticism
* romance with sexiness that would make a Penthouse letters
* writer blush
* porn which contains no romance

And an enormous amount of it has to do with why I am reading it
at the time. There is extremely explicit sex in your average
Jenny Crusie book, as well as a plot which is entirely about
romance, but I tend to read them for the friendships and the
funny dialogue. Meanwhile, I had an Arthurian fantasy novel when
I was an adolescent which wasn't even a romance but which I read
again and again because of my prurient interest in the one
incredibly softcore sex scene.

It even varies from reading to reading. In the 20 years since I
discovered it for the first time, I've read _Valley of the
Horses_ as a survivalist tale (sometimes skimming over all of the
sex scenes because I don't care), and as an erotic story
(sometimes skimming over all of the survivalist stuff because I
don't care).

To be honest, I actually wish they were a little bit more
explicit sex in books which are very explicitly not about romance
and/or sex. It would demystify sex a little bit. It would also
run the risk of being titillating, but it would sort of be like
the book equivalent of an HBO original series. "Look, this is
about real people, and sometimes they have sex."

But then again I am also a huge fan of Fade to Black scenes, if
done right.

-deborah