[DWJ] Classic books

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Nov 4 09:11:57 EST 2009

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Otter Perry wrote:
> Well, it's really necessary if you're from the USA to read _Moby Dick_.  We
> had an abridged version in high school that basically left in the plot and
> cut out all the -- well, I guess I would call them the non-fiction parts
> [although there was a lot Melville didn't get right].

16 years of privately funded education in which I was totally
known as the English nerd and got report cards sent home which
castigated me for reading too much, for years of being University
English major, and in the final semester of my final year of
being an undergraduate English major, that book was the first
book to drive me to Cliffs Notes.I just couldn't manage it.

I'm not sure there are that many classics that have changed my
life. The are certainly classics I enjoy (Chaucer, Jane Austen,
George Eliot) and classics I am glad I've read (Thoreau, Alcott).

I've had much more resonant reading experiences with the 20th
Century Classics, though. The Autobiography of Malcolm X., which
is quintessentially American, or The Remains of the Day, which is
extremely British. The Revolt of the Masses.

my classics to be read list includes:
Moll Flanders
the tale of Genji
democracy in America
invisible Man

... my god, guys. While I was web searching for books to see what
else I've forgotten about that really resonated with me to add to
all of these lists, I hit this link:
<http://www.academictermpapers.com/catpages/catl14o.html>.

I knew sites like this existed but I think I need to go hide in a
corner and cry now.

-deborah