[DWJ] branding books (was What are you reading?)

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Nov 4 08:25:37 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 01:19:32PM +0000, Minnow wrote:
>I think only one of Streatfeild's books was a "shoes" book in the first
>place, or have I got that wrong?  In England the only one with "sheos" in
>the title used to be "Ballet Shoes", and I suppose "White Boots" if you
>stretch a point slightly (I assume that's the one called "Skating Shoes" in
>the American editions).  I ask in a slightly despairing manner whether "The
>Vicarage Family" is called "Vicarage Shoes", hoping desperately for the
>answer "no".

"No" indeed.

The list on Wikipedia gives _Tennis Shoes_ as an original title for the
second book; ones that got en-shoed later were

* The Circus is Coming (1938) (also published as: Circus Shoes)

* Curtain Up (1944) (also published as: Theater Shoes)

* Party Frock (1946) (also published as: Party Shoes)

* The Painted Garden (1949) (significantly abridged and published in the
U.S. as: Movie Shoes)

* White Boots (1951) (also published as: Skating Shoes)

* The Bell Family (1954) (also published as: Family Shoes)

* Wintle's Wonders (1957) (also published as: Dancing Shoes)

* Apple Bough (1962) (also published as: Traveling Shoes)

>You'd think that the author's name ought to be enough to make potential
>readers aware that these books are all by the same author!  Why, I wonder,
>did anyone think that Streatfeild needed to be "branded" in this way?

Katherine Kerr also suffered greatly from this - and I suspect that in
the 1980s it was easier to find American imports in the UK without
realising that they were re-titlings (Forbidden Planet used to stock
quite a lot of them).

Roger