[DWJ] What are you reading?

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 03:32:39 EST 2009

Beck:

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Beck Laxton <becklaxton at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What a perfect thread to get us all talking again! Has anyone else had the
> thought that they ought to keep a book diary the way dieters are supposed to
> keep a food diary? I have no idea how many books I read in a week, but I
> suspect it's more than I think...

I've kept a book log since being inspired by Melissa to do a best (and
occasionally worst too) books of the year list.  Not that I read more books
in a week than I'd have thought, but can never remember which year some were
read. Goodreads also helps when I forget to note a book I've just finished
in my notebook.

> I am very pleased to have just bought (from Oxfam) a proper edition of
> Little Women, with footnotes, and some bits normally edited out kept in -
> which I think is just the names of the dances Meg does when she goes to the
> Gardiners' dance with Jo in Chapter 3. Does anyone know what was risqué
> about a redova?

I don't think anything was risqué about a redowa at all.  It was a fast,
polka-like dance, and I'd bet they just cut out the names because they
thought kids would be bored and/or confused.  Do you have the Penguin
Classics edition?  I thought it was fascinating (in an infuriating kind of
way!) that Marmee was changed from the original version- a 'stout, motherly
lady, and not 'a particularly handsome person' to a tall rather than stout
one, 'not elegantly dressed, but a noble-looking woman'.

I think it was someone on Girlsown who mentioned this edition; I know I
> still get excited re-reading my edition of 'The Painted Garden' by Noel
> Streatfeild, which has whole chapters left out of the Puffin paperback.

As others have said - argh!  Can't find my copy now, but that's horrific.

Hallie